Summer of Hope
With the goal to "Recover the Magic!" one team of dedicated volunteers is doing all they can to assist in long term recovery efforts as a result of the 2011 Mouse River flood.
The Souris Valley Long Term Recovery Committee was established to address unmet needs that remain after FEMA, insurance, SBA, and non-profit agencies have been utilized. The committee is comprised of community leaders, non-profit agencies, and faith-based organizations.
In conjunction with the City of Minot, Ward County, and National Disaster Relief Agencies, (Faith-based and Government Sponsored), and in cooperation with the Souris Valley United Way, the LTR Committee works with case managers who assess and manage each case individually in order to maximize the efforts of all.
The mission of the Souris Valley Long Term Recovery Committee is to provide physical, emotional, and spiritual resources to provide for the unmet needs of those most vulnerable who were affected by the 2011 Mouse River flood.
Summer of Hope Events in September (document)
2012 Calendar of Events
Summer of Hope Events Schedule
9.4.12 thru 9.8.12 - "Stars of Hope" is a unique volunteer organization that empowers children to transform communities affected by disasters through the creation of colorful and inspiring art. Along with the New York Says Thank You Foundation and volunteers from natural disasters across the country a number of "healing-focused" events will happen in early September for the entire Minot-area community. The general public is invited to attend any and all events! We hope to see you there. (www.starsofhopeminot.org)
9.6.12 - Stars of Hope Events
- 1:45 p.m. The 9/11 Flag will travel south on Broadway from the airport. The public is invited to line the route to welcome the flag.
- 2 p.m. Unfurling and public viewing of the National 9/11 Flag on the steps in front of Old Main at Minot State University. Learn more about the Flag, its history and where it is going from here.
- 2:30 p.m. The National 9/11 Flag will be escorted by the North Dakota State Police and transported by the Minot Fire Department north on 83, where they will meet the Bottineau Fire Department and transfer the flag. (Estimated arrival in Bottineau 4-5 p.m.)
- 3 p.m. (Ann Nicole Nelson Hall) "New York Says Thank You - The Movie" on the MSU Campus. "New York Says Thank You - The Movie" will be shown on the campus of Minot State University. This 90-minute documentary is about 9/12 the day when volunteers from all over America started arriving in New York to help in any way possible. Their kindness not only physically helped the first responders of this attack; they also begin the healing process of New York.
- 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. Stars of Hope Community Paint at Minot State University for all ages. Minot State University's Center for Engaged Teaching & Learning in conjunction with Stars of Hope and Missouri Southern State University's Resource Development Center (in Joplin, MO) are offering the general public a chance to paint a "Star of Hope" with your words of encouragement for the communities of Burlington and Minot.
Please bring a non-perishable food item as well to support our local food pantries.
- 7 p.m. (Aleshire Theater) "New York Says Thank You - The Movie" on the MSU Campus. "New York Says Thank You - The Movie" will be shown on the campus of Minot State University. This 90-minute documentary is about 9/12 the day when volunteers from all over America started arriving in New York to help in any way possible. Their kindness not only physically helped the first responders of this attack; they also begin the healing process of New York.
9.6.12 - Rays of Hope Minot Prairie Quilt Guild Meeting lecture/trunk show entitled, ‘Out of the Trunk and Off the Tables'
- 6:45 p.m., Mary W. Kerr will be presenting. Vincent United Methodist Church Community Room; refreshments will be served, no admission fee. Contact Bev Cushing at 839-6635 with any questions.
9.7.12 - Stars of Hope Event
- 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Stars of Hope Community Paint at Oak Park for all ages. Stars constructed by survivors of other disasters will be available to the public to paint your words of encouragement (while supplies last). Meet Stars of Hope volunteers who have traveled from other disaster communities. Talk with other natural disaster survivors about their recovery. Please bring a non-perishable food item to support our local food pantries.
9.7.12 - Rays of Hope Trunk Show, ‘Vintage Revisited: The Anatomy of a Challenge' with Mary W. Kerr
- 7:00 p.m. at Vincent United Methodist Church Community Room; refreshments will be served, $5 fee. Contact Bev Cushing at 839-6635 with any questions.
9.8.12 - Rays of Hope Workshop, ‘A Quilted Memory' with Mary W. Kerr
- 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. at Vincent United Methodist Church Community Room; lunch and snacks will be provided. Fee is $35, pre-registration is required. Contact Bev Cushing at 839-6635 with any questions.
9.10.12 - Apple Grove, Eastside Estates, Bell, Logan Area Block Party
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Bell School Parking Lot (Tentative Location)
9.17.12 - Roosevelt Park Neighborhoods, Lowe's Garden Center and Ben's Tavern Area Block Party
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. at Corbett Field
9.18.12 - Terracita Vallejo, Country Club, Robinwood Estates, Souris Valley Golf Course, Del Nor Drive Area Block Party
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the BIG 4 Scout Camp (Tentative Location)
9.25.12 - Green Valley Block Party
- 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Harvest Reform Church Parking Lot
File Size: 111.54 kb
COFM_Summer of Hope events_083012.pdf